GENERAL GUIDANCE REGARDING FUNERALS
The facilitation of funerals is an important responsibility of any masjid and we take this responsibility very seriously.
Below are some guidelines relating to our Funeral Service
Adhering to Quran and Sunah
- We strictly adhere to Qur’an & Sunnah in the performance of all our religious activities and services.
- Only practices established by the Quran and sunnah should be performed to ensure the best preparations for the deceased.
- We aim to minimise the need for male/female mixing.
- There will be a separate area provided for food, sisters on their monthly cycle, and the viewing of the body.
- We are able to handle multiple funerals in a day should the need arise.
- Sensitivity and care are key aspects of the service. Family volunteers are allowed to support as much as possible.
- We offer everyone from the community the same service.
- Funeral sittings – full-day use of the building as needed for ghusl, funeral prayer, food, etc. Up to a maximum of two further days for smaller gatherings, accommodating c.30 brothers and c.30 sisters. Food provision on these extra days becomes the sole responsibility of the family.
Booking and arrangements
- As a masjid, there may be other activities that are underway on the day.
- Please be appreciative of this.
- We will try and accommodate things at short notice, where possible.
- The only events impacting the ability to facilitate funerals are our conferences and Eid when the whole masjid is used: Winter Conference, Eid Al-Fitr, Eid Al-Adha, Summer Conference.
- There will be appropriate support from the funeral team on the day of the funeral
- Both the brothers and sisters’ sides are managed for every funeral, with clear contact points on both sides.
- If the family requires time with the imam, this will be facilitated by the masjid
- We will aim to ease the logistics for sisters in a way that minimises movement, due to the elderly, young children, pushchairs, baby seats, etc.