Press Release: GLMCC Eid Al-Adha Prayer Announcement & ActivitiesAssima Alam
With the announcement of the first day of the holy month of Dhul Hijjah on Sunday 11th July, we are happy to announce that Green Lane Masjid & Community Centre (GLMCC) will be holding Eid al Adha (the festival marking the culmination of the annual pilgrimage to Mecca and commemorating the sacrifice of Abraham) on Tuesday 20th July 2021.
Prayers on the day will be performed inside the mosque this year, as we did for Eid Al Fitr a couple of months ago; click here to read more.
We are expecting a large turnout and so have arranged four separate congregational prayers, starting from 7:00am through to 10:00am. Following the latest government guidance, social distancing will not be required and masks will no longer be mandatory (but will be recommended to be worn in highly populated areas indoors).
Consequently, GLMCC will not be holding the annual Celebrate Eid event in Small Heath Park. After consultation with Birmingham City Council officials and Public Health Birmingham, the event which attracts an annual attendance of up to 60,000 people could pose significant risks to the public due to rising Covid-19 infections.
Alhamdulillah (praise be to God), as an alternative and in partnership with Edgbaston Cricket Ground, we are also pleased to be facilitating a special Eid prayer at the Colts Ground situated within the compound of Edgbaston Stadium. Prayer will be held at 8.30am with arrival starting at 8.00am. Numbers will be strictly limited to 500 attendees and registration to attend will be required using our prayer booking app, which can be downloaded here:
Eid is a time for celebration, family and worship. We would like everyone to enjoy the day and have tried to make things as easy as possible. We continue to advise those who may be ill or vulnerable to remain at home.
There are a number of other activities that we will be arranging this Eid, including:
- Day of Arafat Iftar – The day of Arafat (9th of Dhul Hijjah) is the day before Eid and a day that the Muslim community is encouraged to fast. We will be arranging an onsite iftar meal for anyone fasting on the day and hope to feed up to 250 people, God willing.
- Overseas Qurbani / Food distribution: This year Task Force GLM is organising ethical qurbanis in various countries across the world including Somalia, Pakistan, Palestine and Myanmar, and is dealing with local suppliers to help local economies flourish. If you wish to order your Qurbani, please go to: www.taskforceglm.org/qurbani
- Local Qurbani distribution: A staggering 1 in 9 people worldwide are battling chronic hunger, however, locally sourced Qurbani meat can help feed a family in need this Eid. We are therefore offering a UK Qurbani service, in which we will arrange Qurbani and distribute shares to those in need in our local Birmingham community on the days of Eid.
- Local Qurbani distribution with Islamic Relief: We have also partnered with Islamic Relief to carry out a second local distribution of additional qurbani meat and food, the following week.
- Revert Eid Dinner: Though Eid is a time of great joy, it can be a lonely time for new Muslims who may not have any Muslim family to enjoy the festivities with. Islamwise, our revert support wing will be preparing Eid gift packs and an exclusive dinner just for revert Muslims, allowing them to enjoy the day and partake in the festivities with their community. Contact email@example.com for more info.
Our Masjid and the Muslim community in Birmingham have done exceptionally well in adhering to the Government and Public Health guidelines throughout the pandemic. Alhamdulillah, GLMCC was certified as a Covid-Chartered Masjid by Birmingham City Council. The number of deaths in Birmingham and the UK continue to fall, which is testimony to everyone’s patience and consistent efforts. Allah (swt) says in the Quran: ‘Whoever saves the life of a person is as if he has saved the life of the whole of humankind.’ (5:32).
Until we phase out the current Covid restrictions, we ask our community to continue to adhere to the guidelines so that we can transition safely back to life as we once knew it inshaAllah.
We would like to wish you all a blessed and a joyous Eid.
(For press enquiries or visits on the day of Eid, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
Green Lane Masjid and Community Centre is a leading UK mosque situated in the heart of Birmingham serving the community since 1979. Operating from its award-winning grade II listed Victorian building, GLMCC fulfills its mission of inspiring, educating and serving through its educational college, outreach work, welfare services, international humanitarian wing, as well as its fully functional mosque which is attended by thousands every week.