Press Release: Green Lane Mosque COVID-19 Emergency Service and Congregation WarningZubair Akram
13 March 2020
Green Lane Mosque COVID-19 Emergency Service and Congregation Warning
With the rapidly changing circumstances of the coronavirus pandemic, how we protect ourselves and others is of paramount importance. In line with NHS guidance, GLMCC would like to provide clarity to the Muslim community in regard to religious practices to help reduce the spread of the coronavirus.
The preservation of life takes precedence over everything else. GLMCC therefore kindly advises everyone to follow the advice below to keep yourselves, your loved ones and the public safe;
• Prayers occur five times daily, with an average of 200 attending any one prayer at GLMCC. The elderly should seriously consider whether they need to attend the Mosque for congregational prayers. Health and safety of the elderly is paramount.
• Give verbal greetings of ‘peace be upon you’ and avoid shaking hands, if possible.
• Perform ablution (washing of face, mouth, nose, ears, hands, arms, hair and feet) at home before coming to the Mosque, as is recommended by the Prophet (peace be upon him).
• If you are ill or vulnerable with any health condition, e.g. pregnant or chronically ill, please remain at home and avoid coming to large gatherings.
• If you are showing symptoms persistent to the virus, please follow government guidelines advising seven days of self-isolation. People with symptoms are no longer required to call NHS 111, but are instead urged to look for information on the NHS website and 111 online.
• The Mosque will continue to hold all congregational prayers including Friday Prayers however strongly advise people to take the above guidelines into consideration.
• The Mosque’s funeral service will continue to run as will all educational classes.
• GLMCC request the congregation to remain patient and support the elderly and vulnerable as much as possible.
• Ramadan and Eid Prayer arrangements are in discussion; the health and safety of our congregation will be at the forefront of any decision made.
GLMCC has also formed a COVID-19 Emergency Service in which we are calling for volunteers who can support the elderly and vulnerable, who may need to self-isolate.
We will support with responsibilities such as shopping, obtaining medicines and other urgent supplies. This is a service open to all, regardless of faith.
The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
“Seek out the vulnerable among you. Verily, you are only given provision and support due to your support of the weak.”
GLMCC welcome volunteers for the COVID-19 Emergency Service, if you wish to volunteer please message 07858 150 671 with your name and contact details.
As Muslims, we place our trust in God, and seek ultimate protection and aid through His remembrance.
“No disaster strikes except by permission of Allāh (God). And whoever believes in Allāh (God) – He will guide his heart. And Allāh is Knowing of all things” The Quran, Chapter 3, verse 11 (Surah At Taghaabun)
Green Lane Masjid and Community Centre
20 Green Lane
Birmingham, B9 5DB
Tel: 0121 713 0080