Who was Umar Ibn al-Khattab (May Allaah be pleased with him)? by Yousaf Jahangir (Student at the Islamic University of Madinah)
- His name: Umar Ibn Khatab Ibn Nuwayfil Bin Abdul Uzzah Bin Riyah Bin Abdullah Bin Qurt Bin Razah Bin Adi Bin Kab Al Qirashi.
2. His mother’s name: Hanthama Bint Hashim Ibnul Mugirah Bin Abdullah Ibn Umar Ibn Makhzum.
3. He was born 13 years after the Messenger of Allaah – may peace & blessings be upon him.
4. Umar was from the earliest of Muslims having accepted Islam after 40 men & 11 women after the messenger of Allaah – may Allaahs peace & blessings be upon him supplicated for his guidance.
5.Umar was the first judge In Islam after being appointed so by Abu Bakr may Allaah be pleased with him, who was the Khalifah at the time. (الإستعاب ص٤٧٦)
6.Umar became the Khalifah of the Muslims 13 years after the Hijrah.
7.Umar was the first one to be called ‘Ameerul Mumineen’ this being Initiated by Mugirah Ibn Shu’bah may Allaah be pleased with him.
8. Umar established the Hijri calendar.
The Messenger of Allaah may Allaah send his peace & blessings upon him said about Umar:
1. “Verily Allah has put the truth upon the heart & tongue of Umar.”
Reported by Imam at-Tirmidhi no.3682 authenticated by Imam al-Albani.
2.” If there was a Messenger after me it would have been Umar”
Reported by Imam at-Tirmidhi no.3686 authenticated by Imam al-Albani.
3. The Messenger of Allaah said: “In a dream I was drinking from a pot of milk I drank from it until it poured from my fingertips then I passed this pot to Umar to drink from”
The companions asked: “What do you interpret this to mean oh Messenger of Allaah?” He replied: “Knowledge.”
[Bukhari & Muslim]
Ali Ibn Abi Talib said:
1. “The best of mankind after the messenger of Allaah are Abu Bakr than Umar.”
2. “Umar speech was a source of tranquility for the believers.”
Abdullah Ibn Masood said:
1.”If the knowledge of the companions was put in a scale and the knowledge of Umar was put in the other, surely umars knowledge would outweigh the knowledge of the others, & surely sitting in a single gathering with Umar is more beloved to me than worshiping for an entire year.”
He passed away on Wednesday 27th of Dhul Hijjah year 23 Hijri, after being the second khalifah of the Muslims for 10 years.
In ending we ask Allaah the Most Merciful to unite us with Umar & the rest of the companions in the highest parts of paradise.